If you’re already using the beta of our forthcoming desktop publishing app, the latest version is available on auto-update and you will be asked if you want to download and install it the next time you open Affinity Publisher.
If you have not yet installed any version of the Affinity Publisher beta, there’s still time to sign up using the button below.
New Features - 220.127.116.115
Pinned Objects for Text
It is now possible to ‘pin’ objects to a specific location in the text flow. As text is edited and reflows, the object travels with its pin. To access this feature you can use the ‘Float with Text’ or ‘Inline with Text’ buttons on the main toolbar. Further control of the object’s placement is available via the ‘Pinning Panel’ (View > Studio > Pinning)
DocX is now offered as an option for import wherever txt and rtf were previously available (for example File > Place). It is chiefly designed with import of text content in mind.
Due to the wide variety of docx documents out there we will inevitably encounter issues and indeed there are features we won’t initially support, for example:
- Footnotes and Endnotes
- Multi-page tables
If you have docx documents that are failing to import we would encourage you to share them with us if possible.
Updates and Fixes
- (Win) Fixes for Thumbnail Handler
- (Win) Fixed document grid for documents not in pixels
Studio and Panels
- Allow navigating master pages with page buttons
- Fixes for master layers and masks
- Fix for ‘Add swatch from Fill as Global’ not always working
- (Mac) Fixed possible crash on closing documents
- (Mac) Preferences, Auto-Correct section layout issue
- (Mac) Fixed dragging selection into Assets Panel
- (Win) Fix for crash if Paragraph panel undocked in non English and Display DPI is scaled
- (Win) Fix for crash on Reset Studio with no document open.
- (Win) Fix for Fields panel not updating on document change
- (Win) Fixed grid colours not being saved correctly
Import / Export
- Fixed can’t change page for certain PDFs when specifying ‘TrimBox’
- Importing an RTF can cause app hang if RTF is invalid fixed
- Better handling when closing documents
Resources / Resource Manager
- Resource Manager reports images as Document Colour Space fixed
- Fix for Replace Document always converting to Embedded
Text / Tables
- Fixed ‘Find’ based on Format only
- Fixed spell check on double page spread master page appears on ‘empty’ page space
- Fixes for Style Attributes that reference other Styles not updating correctly, e.g. Drop Caps, Initial Words
- Allow toggle overflow on frames from master pages
- Table selection fixes in instances where table has been scaled
- Table row / column header fixes in instances where table has been scaled
- Fixed crash attempting to apply a Table Format to a text frame
- Removed auto-convert Picture Frame to Text Frame. Explicit conversion is still available.
- Numbers highlighted as spelling errors when language set to German fixed
- (Win) Changed precise increase / decrease leading shortcuts as they interfere with text navigation
- (Win) Character Variants failing to show up in Typography panel
Fixes and improvements 18.104.22.1682
Menus / Studio
- Stock Page improvements
- (Mac) Removed default Convert to Curves shortcut to prevent accidental conversion while typing
- (Win) Added ‘Create Style’ to the Edit Menu
- (Win) Removed Create New from Clipboard shortcut
Loading / Saving
- Fixed failure to save document after arrowheads applied and reset to ‘None’
Import / Export
- Fix for PDF Import crash when selecting ‘Favour editable text over fidelity’
- Added support for TIFFs with old-style JPEG compression
- RAW files can now be placed using File > Place. To fall in line with the other apps
- Prevent multiple spurious warnings when placing several files at once
- (Mac) Fix for setting of ‘Scale with Object’ affecting Print output
- Fixed crashes importing bogus DocX files
- Added Drag Drop of DocX to populate Text Frames
- Fixed / added DocX import features including:
- Formatting Fixes, leading fixes
- Fixed negative right indent
- Basic group support
- Linked text frames
- Paragraph attribute priority fixes
- Incorrect object alignment fixed
- Gradient fixes
- Table borders, vertical cell alignment fixed
- Documents without styles (created by PDF converter) fixed
Images / Resources
- Added per axis DPI and Scale controls on the Image Context bar DPI / Scale dropdown
- Fixed and renamed the ‘1:1’ button to reset the aspect ratio and scale to original size
- Cropped Image conversion to Picture Frame handled better
- Fix for undo of Set K-Only
- (Win) Improved locate procedure for missing linked images
- (Win) Fix for auto-update of linked documents not working
- Fixed crash pasting text with the Move tool active
- Fixed OpenType lookup rules which resulting in features not being found dependent on ‘Typography - - - Script’ etc
- Hyperlink attributes are now always stripped when creating document text defaults
- Improvements to Autoflow when overset text is involved
- Improvements to Autoflow when shaped frames are involved
- Pinning Panel - ‘Advance’ has been renamed ‘Offset’
- Pinning Panel - Added Top and Bottom borders for objects pinned inline
- Scaled pinned nodes now remember their original scale and restore it when unpinned or unscaled
- Fix for unwanted text scaling when text objects were pinned
- Can now only pin one node at a time, fixes crash attempting to pin multiple
- Allow direct selection of pinned objects that are the children of stories in master page frames
- Fixed crash pasting text with pinned text objects (with pinned text objects)
- Fixed crash pasting index mark into Find and Replace. Currently unsupported in Find and Replace
- (Mac, Pre-Mojave) Pinning Panel - Fixed white background
- (Win) Fix for inoperative Text Context bar controls with selections including pinned images
- (Win) Fixed Scale capping in Pinning panel
- Resizing a table causes the headers to become mismatched
- Improved index sorting for topics that don’t start with alphabetic characters
- (Mac) Fixed Index Panel Separator field drop arrow menu
As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents.
Want to learn?
If you need help getting started with Affinity Publisher, you might find our video tutorials useful. We will be adding to these throughout the beta to keep you up to date with new features and improvements.
Thank you for all your help!
We hope you enjoy the latest update, and as always, if you find any bugs or have any suggestions to improve Affinity Publisher, please post on the relevant forums here.
It’s your feedback that will help to shape what version one of Affinity Publisher will be. We really value all your help and support.
Keep up to date with all the released beta updates for Affinity Publisher here.