What is Stipple Studio?
One of three new content packs to the Affinity Store created by the inimitable True Grit Texture Supply—the highly regarded purveyors of pro-quality digital texturing tools and effects—Stipple Studio is a collection of 75 brushes made for Affinity and grouped into pen-tip styles, liners, spray brushes and multi-spaced fill brushes, all for easy use and speedy brush navigation.
Built with the demands of pro-illustrators and tattoo artists in mind, Stipple Studio combines the hand-made characteristics of analog stippling with the efficiency of a digital workflow, allowing you to create stippling that looks and feels authentic without sacrificing craft or quality.
Who is Stipple Studio for?
Stipple Studio is ideal for anyone looking to enhance their illustration or design work with some authentic retro or tattoo inspired elements.
Traditionally applying a stippling or dotted technique like this by hand can be very time consuming so one of the key benefits to these brushes is the time saving element. Plus, when you combine that with the sheer range of options and variations available in the pack, it really is a great option for many different scenarios and artists alike.
How does it work?
These brushes have been made with all experience levels in mind, so they’re very easy to install into any Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer app and start creating your stipple-based designs in no time at all.
To see the brushes and fills in action, watch these handy three-step videos from True Grit and see for yourself how user friendly and effective these brushes and techniques can be.
Additionally, this great brush pack comes with a wealth of bonus features and elements, including the matching liner pens shown below. These are a great addition to the collection as they help to give that vintage illustration or tattoo look and tie your design together whenever they’re combined with the rest of the Stipple Studio brushes.
Also, combining multiple liner brush types with multiple stipple brushes is a great way to add extra realism to your design.
As shown in this image above, using the Blotty Liner for extra grit in certain areas and the Round Liner for more detailed sections is a perfect duo to achieve that authentic hand-made look.
You also get this excellent paper texture as part of the collection too, which is a powerful combination when teamed up with the stipple brushes themselves.
Key features of Stipple Studio
This is a huge set of brushes and bonus elements so here’s a run down of everything you need to know:
- Fast and easy to use with 48 brushes grouped into four pen-tip styles for perfectly imperfect dots every time
- Each precision brush group contains multiple presets with matching tips and liners, ready to tackle any stippling task, from subtle edge shading to large blended gradients and fades
- Perfect for artists seeking an analog quality stipple in a fraction of the time
- Shade tight spaces with no need for masking
- Lay down dozens of dots in a single stroke or tap-em-out manually for old time’s sake
- Finely tuned bleed settings mean no two dots are alike for organic results on auto-pilot
- No repetition, ghosting or cloning
Key features of the stipple spray and fill brushes
- Combine with masks to fill large areas with natural stipple textures in seconds
- Perfect for roughing-in or building up large blended gradients in a fraction of the time taken using traditional methods
- Hand-made from popular commercial felt tips and markers
- Choose from multiple pen tips ranging from 0.2 mm pin liners to ultra-fat felt tips in various dot densities
- Designer users—brushes are raster format (not vector) and designed for use in Pixel Persona
- 12 x round tip precision stipple brushes
- 12 x rough tip precision stipple brushes
- 12 x bleedy tip precision stipple brushes
- 12 x blotty tip precision stipple brushes
- 4 x liner pens
- 4 x eraser presets
- 17 x spray brushes in multiple brush tip styles and dot densities
- 12 x tonal stipple fill brushes in light, medium and dense spacing
- 1 x sketchbook paper texture template (works with Photo only)
- 1 x comprehensive tutorial with video demonstrations
Be sure to check out the other two incredible True Grit texture packs which you can read about here and here, or you can pick up all this great new content directly from the Affinity Store.
If you’re looking for some additional texture-based inspiration, then check out some of the other amazing work by Andrew Fairclough of Kindred Studio and True Grit Texture Supply.
You can also get more great content from True Grit Texture Supply that is not currently available on the Affinity Store.